- 200g squid, cut into 1cm rings
- 200ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 50g plain flour
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Mix the mayonnaise with the garlic, lemon zest and parsley, and set aside.
- Place enough oil in a large saucepan, or deep-fat fryer to fill half. Heat to 180°C. (If you don’t have a cooking thermometer, test it’s hot enough by dropping a cube of bread into the oil – it should turn golden in one minute).
- Combine the flour, cayenne pepper and paprika in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Put the beaten egg in a separate bowl.
- Put the squid in the bowl of seasoned flour and toss well. Remove the rings from the bowl and shake off any excess flour. Then dip the squid into the egg. Gently lift the squid rings out of the bowl allowing any excess egg to run off.
- Lower the squid into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately with the mayonnaise and lemon wedges on the side.
Recipe source - www.loveseafood.co.uk